The castle was built on the orders of merchant navy officer Johannes Adrianus van den Bosch and his wife Baroness van Hardenbroek. The architect of the building was none other than master builder Eduard Cuypers, famous for monuments such as the main railway station in Den Bosch, for example.

Many ornaments are images that are related to ships and navigation, because Van den Bosch was trained as a lieutenant commander, first class. The youngest castle in the Netherlands, it officially opened in 1912. After a fire in 1940, the castle was rebuilt under architect W.C. Hamdorff sr. The property was acquired by Heineken and turned into a conference centre in 1975. One wing of the castle also served as Freddy Heineken’s safe house.

How accessible is this location?



Disabled facilities

  • Explanation of accessibility:


Show results